01 September 2015

Weighing Options and Risks

My posse and I went to the pulmonologist together.  Today's posse included my parents, who drove through the night from Berrett's blessing in California,  and my sister, Melissa, who will be going with me to all my appointments because, quite frankly, I can't keep everything straight without an experienced medical professional by my side.
We talked about the pulmonary embolism issue, why it is a potential risk, and the teeny tiny possibility we still may be able to do the surgery before the chemo.
It's a tricky little deal.  Because of the clotting problem last week, I was switched from my initial blood thinning drug when I got those nasty clots in my arm.  Now, I receive two shots of Lovenox per day to prevent additional clots. It seems to be working, but there really hasn't been enough time to be sure I won't get more clots even with the Lovenox.
In addition, I can't be on Lovenox at all during surgery, and maybe even up to seven days post-op, so that my blood won't be so thin that I bleed to death after surgery.
It's a little crazy.
Let's say I go off blood-thinners starting night before surgery so I won't bleed out while I'm being gutted.
Then two days after surgery (still off of the blood thinners), a blood clot travels to my heart or brain because we never got a handle on the clotting problem.
What shall we do?  We must give her an IV blood thinner immediately!!
Huh?  We can't give her a blood thinner at this moment, she just been gutted and she will bleed to death if her blood is too thin!
It's a complicated deal--we need your blood to clot (but not too much).  We need it thinned out (but not too much).

So, the questions of the day are these:
Will two months of chemotherapy change anything about this clotting risk or is it going to exist no matter when we do the surgery?
Why do we need to wait two months to do the surgery rather than just keeping an eye on the Lovenox for two weeks?
If we give the Lovenox two weeks to prove it is working, will we have lost valuable time we could/should have been doing with chemotherapy to stop the cancer from spreading?

Anyway, while my medical team is mulling this over, they did send me to do a heart scan to be sure my heart is nice and healthy and strong.  If my heart isn't up to the trauma coming its way, then all bets are off for surgery at this point because the clotting risk is already way too high.

I was sent to the hospital to get an echocardiogram to look at my heart strength.  According to the preliminary results, my pulmonologist reported this evening that, so far, my heart looks great.

This doesn't really mean much at this point except it adds data to the decision-making process.  I will meet with the medical oncologist tomorrow and my team will consult later in the day and let me know what they are thinking.  I'm great with whatever, as long as we've done our homework, explored our options and the team is in agreement.

Great to have my parents here and so humbled by the outpouring of so much light and love each day I continue on this journey.  How does anyone go through something like this alone?  I am so, so, SO grateful I don't have to find out.  John 14:18

Photos of my echo--not because they are all that cool but because they show part of what I did today.

Melissa fills out all of my paper work.  It is so boring and she knows my medical history





9 comments:

  1. This gets more complicated each moment. Glad you have some of your posse there for support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....my......goodness..... I have been searching and searching for you for years. And then you suddenly show up again. I'm happy and sad to discover that you are still the most amazing person I've ever known! But obviously the Lord loves you so dang much because you're going through such a trial right now! I just really want to talk to you!!! If there is any possible way to get in touch with you I would just really love that! Just know I'm another person out here cheering you on out here in Idaho :) My number is 208-380-2124 and my email is daferr10@yahoo.com (Angela Johnson Ferrara)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not the news I wanted to hear after getting home from the temple. But the temple is the place you challenged a punk kid to go 20 years ago. You had such a huge impact on my life, you helped me learn to feel and recognize the spirit. You helped me make a turn in my life that I never thought was possible. I've learned that nothing is impossible for God.
    Prayers and love from Jared and Jill Bowcutt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I found your blog. ....good to get the updates!
    Been thinking about you lots and lots and lots!
    Hope you can feel my hugs!
    We are coming to Boise this weekend.....would love to give you a hug in person!
    Xoxo
    Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I found your blog. ....good to get the updates!
    Been thinking about you lots and lots and lots!
    Hope you can feel my hugs!
    We are coming to Boise this weekend.....would love to give you a hug in person!
    Xoxo
    Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I found your blog. ....good to get the updates!
    Been thinking about you lots and lots and lots!
    Hope you can feel my hugs!
    We are coming to Boise this weekend.....would love to give you a hug in person!
    Xoxo
    Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Melissa fills out all of your paperwork. Ha! Best. sister. ever.
    Who is watching her baby while she drives you everywhere? I think you better add me to the driving schedule. I can fill out paperwork! 💞

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been so detailed and I have read every word.....I want to know everything! That being said, the part I am still wondering about is how this all came to light. What sent you to the doctor in the first place? Inquiring minds want to know! Thinking about you every day and the prayer rolls at the temple are probably FULL of your name....I added you again on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers from Shayn & I. You've been on our minds since we heard the news yesterday.

    ReplyDelete