11 September 2015

VT Friend

A couple months after I moved to Arizona, a friend of mine from church came up to me and told me she had just been assigned as my visiting teacher.  She wanted to know when she could make an appointment to come visit me.  I asked her if anyone had been assigned to come with her and she said, "no, just me."  Then I asked her why she was insisting on a formal visit with me when we were already great friends?  I thought that a principal objective of visiting teaching was to become genuine friends. Since we already had that, why was she going to insist on going backward in the process? She continued to be one of my closest friends my two years in Arizona.
When I left in the summer of 2014, I put my belongings into a storage shed because I had every intention of returning 90 days later.  Well, one thing led to another and after multiple months in Utah and multiple months in Boise, I am finding that going back to Arizona may not be happening anytime soon.
Within a day of my diagnosis, I felt an urgency to get the contents of the storage shed to Boise.  I called my friend and asked for a humongous favor.  Would she go over to the unit, remove and sell all of the furniture and leave the remaining contents in the unit.  I would then fly down, go through and slim down the remaining contents and then have them shipped in a Pod back to Boise.  Clearly, my pre-chemo self felt pretty ambitious :).
Besides agreeing to do what I'd asked, she modified the plan to an extent of sacrifice I would never have dreamed of asking anyone to do.  Her plan included many more people and far more work than I would ever have felt comfortable asking for.
Suffice it to say, at 4:30pm today, the shrunk down, sold-off, sifted through, packed into a U-Haul, pulled behind an SUV for 15+ hours, contents of my storage unit will arrive here at my house.  My friend, her husband and two of their four babies, will stay a bit, sleep in a Meridian hotel, and drive back to Phoenix with an empty U-Haul trailer.


In the Visiting Teaching section of lds.org, under the title "Purpose of Visiting Teaching", it states:
So grateful for a friend who tried to be a visiting teacher and then back to where it really makes a difference and that is in the nurturing of genuine friendship.  Three cheers for inspired church programs that give us the opportunity to really practice true religion. So grateful

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome and made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO SO inspiring!! I'm glad you had a good, well- fed day yesterday, Michelle! I love KFC too....keep bragging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a true disciple of Christ. This post should be submitted to the Ensign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you have such good and supportive friends and family!

    ReplyDelete