26 September 2015

Figuring Out New Normal

Lately, I am trying to figure out my new normal.  I'm starting to think that if I'm waiting to feel good to really get things done, I may never get anything done.  It seems as if, for now, feeling good may be defined better as "feeling less bad". This whole thing is still so new to me.  I've always been quite healthy.  I'm not a person who has ever lived in chronic pain.  
I'm gaining a great appreciation for people who live their day-to-day life feeling sick all the time.  I don't know how they do it with a positive attitude, a skip in their step, and a smile on their face.  I am trying so hard but I do not think I am doing a very good job.  How do I smile through every bite of food that looks, smells, and tastes disgusting?  I feel awful most of the time and my face and body language show it.  I want to be a good little sick person.  It is hard for me.  
Below are two messages that spoke to me in the General Women's Session of conference.  I want to be more like the little pioneer girl in the picture and I hope I won't give up trying. 




“Don’t give up. Don’t you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead—a lot of it. You keep your chin up. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come.”
Jeffrey Holland October, 1999

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure you are doing better at smiling than you think you are. Loved both of the messages you referred to from the General Women's Conference. Keep your chin up! Love ya! Life is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sister Michelle Dubois. I have caught up on your blog and just have so many thoughts and feelings. I love you! And am so sorry you are going through all of this. Will keep you in my prayers. What's your email??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about you when I heard this quote tonight. Love it. Love you. Just keep swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're just amazing and I love this <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Michelle, it breaks my heart to know you are going through this! You had such a huge impact on me while you were my seminary teacher. You taught me so much! The most valuable lesson I took from your class and the one I remember the most, was a lesson you taught on doing things that point you to Christ. I have thought of that lesson often and contemplated if the things I'm going in my life are helping me to grow closer to Christ or further away. Thank you for that!

    I love this post, and love the messages you mentioned from the General Women's Session. As I've been going through recent trials of my own those words from Jeffery R Holland that were quoted have helped me take courage. I believe the only way to get through something like this is to trust God and carry on. Those words, "Trust God and Carry On" have become a motto for me. I also love these words from Orson F Whitney, and believe them with all my heart, "No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God... and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire."

    Love you, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete