04 September 2015

Timely Visits

Melissa slept with me at the hospital last night, which was so nice because she had to fly to Utah with her husband at 8 AM this morning.  I actually slept quite well.  I woke up feeling crummy, crummy, crummy.  My medical oncologist came by around 7:30 AM.  He was and is noticeably worried about the blood clots in my lungs.  By the time he left, his worry had sufficiently transferred to me.  By that time, Melissa was gone, and I had some time alone to process my visit with the doctor.  I found myself feeling quite discouraged.  I called Melissa at her house and told her about my visit.  She said she needed some time to think and would get back to me later.  I continued to process until Melissa called back from the airport.  She said she had some time to pray and think, and she had two distinct impressions that made her feel comfortable to leave town.  She shared those with me, and I felt confirmation that what she was saying was truth.  I felt instantly more comfort and hope.

In the interim, there was a knock at the door.  It was my gynecological oncologist, the surgeon who had refused to do my debulking surgery because of his instinct that I was too high of a clot risk. I was happy to see him, but also concerned that he might be there to confirm the daunting feeling left by the earlier doctor.  Our conversation was actually quite different.  He started off by acknowledging how grateful he was that he hadn't gone forth with the surgery.  He said when he heard about the new clots in my lungs, he just looked heavenward and thanked the Lord that he had not gone forward against his better judgement.  I said I had done the same thing, and we both acknowledged how grateful we were for the hand of the Lord halting the surgery that was planned for Wednesday.

As he spoke, he said two things with reference to the situation, which were IDENTICAL to what my sister had shared with me just moments earlier.  What a sweet confirmation from two witnesses within just a few short minutes.   My spirits were lifted, and the discouragement I'd felt an hour earlier was gone.

My second sweet visitors came about 10:30 AM, having driven through the night from San Francisco and  loaded up with flowers, a banner, and wearing matching "Team Michelle" t-shirts.  I was instantly a puddle of tears.  My pulse rate shot so high when I saw them that I got nauseous and had to sit down.  It was more light and love than my sick little body could even take!

The children only stayed about a half an hour, because I really couldn't take the stimulation.  A dear friend took them to swim and play and hang out with her children.  Melinda and Greg stayed with me the rest of the day.

These are not my only visitors today; I've had so many every single day, for which I am unbelievably grateful.  I do not tire of visitors.  I love them so much.  My body has been pretty nutty today.  The combination of the chemotherapy as well as the clotting garbage and who knows what else has made me feel a lot of nausea and dizziness and crazy heart rate stuff.  I feel pretty okay when I'm sitting down or lying down, but I can't even walk around the hospital without getting so sick that I have to immediately sit down.  I'm hoping to do some walking tomorrow.

Today I absolutely saw the tender mercies of the Lord in the timing of my two visits that really lifted my spirits today.


Dr. Perez, my Gynecological Oncologist


My angels from California



Could this t-shirt be any cuter?


This is the back of the cutest t-shirt


8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had your confirmation and felt better afterwards. This is such scary stuff. I knew Mindy and team would come. Love the shirts and that darling family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you've had an outpouring of family love (go team Michelle!) and the Spirit to help comfort you. It feels so trite to just say "I'm praying for you." But I am, earnestly. You have been close to my thoughts continually since I found out about your health. I will be fasting for you tomorrow as well. You are a great woman, Michelle. I was really blessed to be your roommate for five years. And I'm still blessed by it because I learned so much from you. Please keep fighting. With much love, Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want one of those shirts!! Thinking of you daily....and loving that I can keep up with your journey thru your blog. Also loving the positive attitude you so steadfastly hold on to....you are amazing, and an inspiration to all who know you. (How can you NOT be!?!?!?!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I buy this adorable T-shirt?? You have the coolest family ever! I'm so glad you had fantastic visitors, and a super cute doctor. (You got his number, right?!)
    I'm starting my fast for you for tomorrow. Last time I fasted that the blood clots would go away and you could have surgery...That didn't go so well. Obviously I was not specific enough. So this time, I'm going to fast that the Lord will send a handsome prince, preferably named "Charming," on a white horse to ride into your hospital room. And while holding a dozen red roses, he will kiss you on the lips, and magically make everything better. Ok. That's my plan. Hope there's pictures in the blog tomorrow. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are fasting for you as a ward today. Glad you could see the balloons. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are fasting for you as a ward today. Glad you could see the balloons. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew MMDD couldn't stay away for long!! They love you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad Zach & I could stop by. You brightened our day and reminded us of so much love and light. Has anyone beaten my 'sucking' record? Hope to see you again

    ReplyDelete