28 September 2015

Christmas in September!

Because I've felt so awful as of late, I have looked forward to this second chemo as if it were Christmas day.

Amity dropped me off at the hospital at 8:30am for blood draws and then a 9:00am appointment with my medical oncologist.  I felt as crummy as could be.  I was so lethargic, I didn't even want to answer his questions.  Once again, we talked about my calorie intake and the realities of chemotherapy side effects.  He mentioned that I had lost five more pounds since last week...he added some meds and removed others.  It is tricky finding a balance that works.

Once we finished, it was time for the grand event.

I got to choose between sitting in a public area in a recliner or lounging in a private room with a bed. I totally chose the private room with a bed, and it was fabulous.  Melissa was with me the whole time.  I can't imagine doing any of this without her.  As a seasoned medical professional, she speaks and understands the language, knows what to ask, and how to help.  She, alone, may be the reason I was so clearly guided to receive my treatments here in Boise.

I was pumped full of pre-meds through my fancy port, followed by five hours of chemotherapy.
The oncology dietitian came in again to talk to me about how to get more calories.  She does a good job; I always get a good idea or two from her.

Melissa and I visited for about an hour, watched some of Elder Scott's funeral, then I started getting tired, so I thought I should sleep.  I think I fell asleep for at least two hours.  Whatever they put in those pre-meds is powerful stuff!  I slept last time, too.  After being with me all day, Melissa had to leave shortly before the finish.  Jeanette came and picked me up to take me home.

On the way home, I had so much energy, and I felt SO great!  I couldn't believe it.  I had no pain, no nausea, no blechy feeling, no bad--all good!  I even felt like eating!

I knew it could all be gone in an instant, so I just jumped right on the wave and rode it as far as it would go.

I told Jeanette I wanted to go eat angel hair pasta with marinara sauce at Olive Garden.  I think she broke the speed limit driving there knowing how quickly the desire could pass.  We got right in and had the absolute best waitress who was as excited for me as I was for myself.  I told her I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten more than two bites of anything since July; this was truly a big moment. Our order came out quickly, and I dove into that pasta!  It was perfect.  I loved it and ate the whole thing!

A few minutes into the meal, the manager came out and visited with us.  He said the waitress (Susan) had told him my story.  He came out to congratulate me and said that my meal would be covered by the Olive Garden AND that anytime in the future that I wanted to come back and eat that same dish, it would be comp'd each time.  Woo-Hoo!  Super good customer service for sure!

After the best meal of my life, I still felt great, so I wanted to go for a walk at the Boise Greenbelt.  It was perfect weather--beautiful fall trees and water, and I had plenty of stamina to do the walk. Yesterday, I did a Sunday walk with my sister's family around Settler's Park and had to sit down every 100 feet because I was so weak.  Not today!

After the Greenbelt, I came home, got my shot, took my evening meds, and then went to an FHE pool party at a friend's house in Kuna.  I still felt great and very normal.

I have no idea what tomorrow will bring, but I can't waste any of today thinking about tomorrow because

Today was awesome!


My private room


End of Elder Scott's funeral


Not a great photo, in fact Melissa looks annoyed, but it was the only one I could sneak of her while we were in the room.  And she was not annoyed.  She's my secret weapon.



Olive Garden angel hair pasta with marinara


Loving the pasta


Done! 


My favorite house along the Greenbelt.  I call this house Candy Land


FHE pool party with dear friends


We were neighbors in Meridian who used to share a back fence until we both moved


9 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how today went. I should have text you earlier but this post was very newsy and good. I'm so happy your day went well and wow on your meal!!! So happy you felt well enough. Love that your secret weapon was with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is so happy to hear about your fabulous day! I had been waiting and wondering - and quite frankly, not expecting the report you gave. So, so, so happy you at least got one great day in there! Praying for more of those to come your way:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had such a grand day! That's great about Olive Garden! Hope you're feeling great today! Life is Good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are super cute! I'm glad that you could see your candy land house in your early Christmas walk on the green belt! You will be making "real" candy houses in December! You are wonderful Michelle! Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed the pasta! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FREE PASTA EVERY TIME YOU COME??!! What??!!!! Yes. That manager is my new favorite person. Great, Great day. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessed to have such a great day. You deserve ALL high calorie meals to be compd 😜 warm wishes from the Fishes

    ReplyDelete