06 January 2016

Here We Go Again

I've been waiting to update until I had more information.  I had an appointment with my oncologist today and have a better idea of what's coming down the next few months.

To recap:  my first three rounds of chemotherapy were once every three weeks.  This time around, it will be three times in a week, with a thirteen day break between rounds.  There is also another major difference--two of the three treatments (each round) will be done through an intraperitoneal port.  This is a very different experience.

When the doctor did my surgery, he also implanted a device that will make it possible to squirt the chemotherapy straight into my abdominal cavity.  Although this is a nice idea when it comes to the effectiveness of chemotherapy, rumor has it that it is brutal for the person receiving it.

As of now, I am scheduled to receive six rounds of chemo, totaling 18 treatments, 12 of which will be intraperitoneal starting this Tuesday, Jan. 12.

If it sounds like I'm dreading this, you're reading it right.  I am.  I'm not just dreading the side effects of the chemo, but also the fact that I've already lost 70 pounds.  The nausea that accompanies chemo makes it nearly impossible to eat right, and I can't afford to lose more weight.

My plan is to not let the cart get too far ahead of the horse and stay focused on overcoming the challenge of each day.  If I get too far ahead of myself, it becomes too overwhelming.

One day at a time!


7 comments:

  1. Oh my! It's good to read an update, but that is a lot to take in. Good plan on taking it a day at a time. I can't believe you've lost 70 pounds, that's crazy. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Love ya! Life is Good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers are with you Michelle! Keep fighting the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayers are with you daily. Thanks for sharing your journey. I watch for an update everyday. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pray for you to have at least one food that you can tolerate during this to sustain the energy you will need for the treatments. Praying for you to have strength each day. You are an extraordinary woman & we are glad to call you our friend. Best Wishes from the Fishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My very favorite part of this whole post is when you said, "what's coming in the next few months." Just take a minute and stop right there. There was a night right before your surgery when I wasn't sure you had "tomorrow." Now you're talking about the "next few MONTHS?!" You, my dear friend, ROCK! Please tell the cute doctor to just add one more port right into that belly so we can fill you with the nutrients you need to compete with chemo. You're truly amazing Michelle! You've got this. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, it is great to see you smiling! Good luck and many blessings as you start this next leg of your journey. Thank you for posting so we can keep up with what is happening!! Lori Bergstrom

    ReplyDelete