13 January 2016

IP Chemo #1

Thank you so much for all of the well wishes that came my way for this first IP chemo!

The chemo itself was surprisingly easier than I expected, although longer.  It took 6.5 hours at the hospital.  It's a weird little deal.  After putting hydration fluids and pre-meds in through my IV port, I am then filled with two liters of fluids and chemotherapy drugs through my IP port.  The IP port has a little tube that deposits everything straight into my abdomen.  The objective is to coat every single cell in my abdomen and find all the little nooks and crannies where the cancer cells might be hiding and coat them all in the deadly poison.

To accomplish this task, once the fluids and drugs are in my abdomen, then I have to rotate from side to side every 15 minutes for 75 minutes.  I had been warned that the two liters of fluid in my abdomen may be very uncomfortable for 24-48 hours.  It didn't take long for me to realize that because of my previous bulgy belly and the 8+ liters of fluid I carried around for weeks, these two little liters of fluid were nothing.  In fact, I didn't even notice them going in!  Who thought I'd ever be grateful for my bulgy belly?

I feel really good right now, but that's one of the deceiving things about the day of chemo.  They pump you so full of pre-meds, including anti-nausea and steroids and feel-good drugs, that many patients call it their Cinderella day.  This is why I was surprised when I threw up yesterday, because that is not standard Cinderella day behavior!   When I left the hospital today, I felt great, and I even went out for Chinese food, which tasted YUMMY.  That is Cinderella day material!

I have been warned that there may be many days of severe nausea ahead.  But of course, I am praying that the side effects will be minimal, and greedily, I am actually praying that I will sail through this chemotherapy.  (Yep, that last comment is definitely from someone in her Cinderella day.  But a girl can dream, can't she?)

Oh and also....I gained two pounds in the last week.  Yipee!!

Thank you again for every prayer, thought, text, note of encouragement, flower, gift, demonstration of faith, and visit.  They have really lifted my spirits moving into this next phase of the journey.  I really am so blessed with so much light and love that comes my way every single day.  I don't deserve you all, but I definitely love you.  Thank you so much.



5 comments:

  1. I love each and every update...even tho some are not great, I love to know how you are doing. I love seeing you eat Chinese or anything. Wouldn't it be great to keep this Cinderella phase going! Let's do it. Praying for you. Every day. Loves and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You most certainly do deserve all of us because you've been so good to all of us over the years. I like your Cinderella days but hope for you to be more like Mulan continuing with courage and sass. Best wishes from the Fishes. PS I guess since Star Wars is now Disney, you can Jedi like Rey. Talk about Sass! You've got it girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good there! Come on Cinderella days! Prayers and thoughts coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good there! Come on Cinderella days! Prayers and thoughts coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You deserve as many Cinderella days as possible. Live it up!

    ReplyDelete