30 August 2015

One Step Back; Two Steps Forward

At the end of my visit with my PCP on Tuesday morning, he said I should hear from the Gynecological Oncologist either later that day or Wednesday.  I was anxious to get more information and make a plan.  Tuesday came and went with no word.  Wednesday morning, the Gyn-Onc office called with the news that the dr. didn't have an openings to see me until Thursday, AND they needed two more blood tests before I could see him anyway.  Looking back now, I'm sure it should have been no big deal, but I felt instantly deflated at the time. NO!  I will not wait until Thursday, and NO! I am not going back to the stupid lab to draw more stupid blood.  I will come to your office NOW, and we will get a move-on here!
Okay, so I didn't say any of that, but I sure felt deflated.  My great friend was over visiting at the time.  I remember telling her, "I don't want to do this.  I don't even want to go do the first blood test!  I think I am just already done with this whole crazy thing."  Being the level-headed person she is, she just asked me if I wanted a ride to the lab.
An unexpected thing happened at the lab.  I walked in, gave my name and birth date, went back with the tech who poked me, took two vials of blood, wrapped my arm, and we were back in the car lickety-split.  We were done, and I was on my way home.

As we walked back to the car, a scripture and the line of a hymn came to my mind.  I thought of Matt:6:34 which is Jesus speaking and says: "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself" followed immediately by a line from the hymn "How Firm A Foundation" which says:  "As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be."

Simply stated, two things became crystal clear to me at that moment:

1.  I must not let what is coming down the road weigh me down.  If I focus on tomorrow's challenges, it all seems too overwhelming.  Tomorrow will take care of tomorrow.  My focus needs to be on what is being asked of me right this minute.  I can do a minute.

2.  I will have what I need when I need it (and quite possibly not one minute sooner).  The Lord's succor will come according to the demands of each new day.  I will have today's manna from heaven today and tomorrow's tomorrow.  I'm not getting tomorrow's manna today.




9 comments:

  1. Sister DuBois, my prayers and healing thoughts are with you. You are my favorite young women's leader I've ever had. For ten years now I've always listed you as my role model. Don't fear! God is on your side. I'll be checking your blog every day.
    All the love in the universe,
    Kara Mortensen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister DuBois, my prayers and healing thoughts are with you. You are my favorite young women's leader I've ever had. For ten years now I've always listed you as my role model. Don't fear! God is on your side. I'll be checking your blog every day.
    All the love in the universe,
    Kara Mortensen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to share your journey and golden nuggets of thoughts with me and my family. There are so many things I have gotten from this post! One of the things I have been inspired to do is pay better attention to the lyrics of the hymns and even memorize and study them because God can use them to speak to me. I have prayed and will continue to pray for you and your family. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such neat insights!! Prayed and fasted for you today....

    Love,
    Jenny W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, I am so glad you are doing this blog. YOU are an inspiration!!! Love you so much - just know that you are in our constant thoughts and prayers! Much love - Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are my hero!! Already, and it is only starting!! Tears flowing down my face, I want you to know I know the Lord loves you and so do lots of people !! You are strong and I would be a basket case and am blubbering every time I read your blog!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You learned two perfect things today, life changing things. Be in today. God will provide. You're a Genius!! I think this blog will become "The Book of Michelle" and amended right onto the end of the Book of Mormon. 😀

    ReplyDelete